- GPU: Nvidia (BFG) 8800 GTS 320Mb
- Monitor: Acer 22"
- Max resolution supported by the GPU: 2560x1600
- Max resolution supported by the monitor: 1680x1050
- Resolution stuck at: 1152x864
I have spent almost two weeks so far trying to fix this resolution limit issue on Ubuntu 14.04:
- I have gone through any result that comes up in Google in the first five pages
- I have read at least 10-15 topics on this forum alone, and many more on other websites
- I have tried the xrandr trick
- I have tried the xconfig file trick
- I have tried updating/reinstalling/uninstalling Nvidia drivers
- Tried different versions of the Nvidia driver (official/unofficial/open-source/latest version/older versions)
- checking the monitor plug, etc
NONE of these have worked at all. I have reinstalled my Ubuntu 14.04 three times (every time a completely clean install, formatting the "entire" hard disk), I even tried 15.10, Linux Mint, elemntaryOS, Korora, etc - since I thought the problem is only with Ubuntu, but I have the same problem on all these distributions.
I do not have this resolution limit problem on Windows at all, it is only on Ubuntu. I can go up to 1680x1050 on Windows.
It is so mental, and I have spent hours and hours trying any possible fix that I have found online, and absolutely nothing has worked.. Does anybody know any fixes for the issue?