I was trying to install the crossover package on my laptop when the following happened:
- Icons started getting removed from the sidebar (or launcher?)
- The package manager was unresponsive for >5 minutes when I tried to stop the installation
- I tried to shutdown and at this point everything else was also unresponsive
- I shut it down with a long press of the power button
- I start it again and it's stuck in the start up screen (purple background + 5 dots)
apt-get upgrade results in this:
There were some other questions which were solved by fixing LightDM; however that's correct in my laptop.
This is the output on pressing Esc:
There was a thread which suggested
aptitude install lightdm but when I do that I'm told that all the packages mentioned above (in
apt-get upgrade) will be removed and ~500 MB will be freed. So I'm not sure if that's the way to go.