I have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04. Everything was working fine until yesterday morning after login I couldn't get the wifi in ubuntu stopped to work (see details below) the windows part seems to work just fine. I would like to restore the wifi in ubuntu.
The last time everything was fine, I was trying to (unsuccessfully) install
haskell-platform in ubuntu (see here ). I followed the advice here and downgraded my
libgl1-mesa-glx package. As a result some brutal changes took place and I had to reinstall
Desktop-Environment. The problem with network manager started after that so I am guessing this was the source.
As mentioned before, I can access wifi via Windows. I can also access wifi by using a live ubuntu-usb. So, I can install packages to my hdd-ubuntu distribution. This makes me believe that there is no hardware problem and somehow I have deleted some essential packages.
I am a noob in networking issues so most of what I have done (outlined below) is based on my very limited (and perhaps wacky) understanding and reading through many threads on this site and elsewhere. So it is entirely possible that I have missed something trivial.
What I did
I purged and then reinstalled the packages
isc-dhcp-server packages couple of times.
This doesn't seem to solve the problem.
ifconfig -a reads:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:45:c4:b6:b4:85
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B) Interrupt:17
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1 RX packets:27488 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:27488 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:2028140 (2.0 MB) TX bytes:2028140 (2.0 MB)
virbr0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 3e:e3:92:b9:ab:c6
inet addr:192.168.122.1 Bcast:192.168.122.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:3e:8e:04:2f:9f
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
lshw -C shows
*-network description: Wireless interface product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Qualcomm Atheros physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0 logical name: wlan0 version: 01 serial: 08:3e:8e:04:2f:9f width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.13.0-77-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn resources: irq:19 memory:f7d00000-f7d7ffff memory:f7d80000-f7d8ffff *-network description: Ethernet interface product: AR8162 Fast Ethernet vendor: Qualcomm Atheros physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0 logical name: eth0 version: 10 serial: 78:45:c4:b6:b4:85 capacity: 100Mbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair resources: irq:47 memory:f7c00000-f7c3ffff ioport:e000(size=128)
Some other configuration files that I checked were :
/etc/network/interfaces which reads
auto lo iface lo inet loopback
I added and then commented out
#iface eth0 inet dhcp,
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp because it didn't solve the problem and just started the message
waiting for network configuration when booting into ubuntu.
#Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTENnameserver 127.0.1.1 nameserver 220.127.116.11
127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.1.1 my-comp
#The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback fe00::0 ip6-localnet ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
[main] plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono dns=dnsmasq
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=16 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:off
If tried `sudo ifdown wlan0' and 'sudo ifup wlan0' and didn't get any output which makes me think they are ok.
I am looking for any directions that I might take to solve the problem. One possible way out, I think, is to try to transfer all relevant packages from live-usb to my home folder but I am not sure how to go about it.... I would prefer any solution short of a fresh install at this point.
Thank you for your help in advance (and special thanks for any impromptu networking lessons too). I would be happy to put any additional information.
Some additional info based on answers/comments.
rfkill list output
0: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 1: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no