I'd like to access my Grub Menu at boot by pressing Shift. After I press Shift I see a message saying "Grub loading.." but then no menu appears and the computer keeps booting normally into my Ubuntu Installation. Do you know how I can access the Grub Menu at boot? Thanks a lot for your help!
The issue is solved by modifying the parameter
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT in the
/etc/default/grub file (need to be super user to modify it), and (as always to apply configuration changes made in this file) running
Changing the value from 0 to some positive value allows to enter the GRUB menu by pressing Shift during boot.
For those not familiar with updating your GRUB settings:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal.
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub.
- Change the
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUTline as above, save it, and close gedit.
sudo update-grub. You can now restart.
If you want from the GUI
To open the terminal:
Open Dash (Super Key) or Applications and type
For older or Ubuntu versions:
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
Then type the command
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
and then change the value in
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT as above.
Save it and close the editor.
sudo update-grub in the terminal.
This finally worked for me :
- Goto your BOOT menu and then go to BOOT settings - change "BOOT MODE" to "Legacy" from "UEFI" --> Save
- Shut Down and restart.
- In my case, it showed "No operating system found"
- Quick shut down your system(by pressing the power button continuously for 15 secs)
- Goto the Boot menu again and reverse the Boot mode back to UEFI.
- Restart your System. This time most probably the GRUB menu will appear.