I just installed ubuntu 15.10 on a dell xps 13 (9350). The internal wifi card is currently not supported under linux, so meanwhile I purchased a trendnet TEW-648UBM.
It works "almost" out of the box, except that very often I can not access internet anymore, while the wifi is still connected (according to the network manager).
Then I need to disable wifi/re-enable, or even plug it out & in.
I would post logfiles but I am not sure which is the useful one.
Could you help me ?
as an addon, lspci -v yields:
3b:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 525a (rev 01) Subsystem: Dell Device 0704 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 276 Memory at dc600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
I also tried the solution here: TRENDnet TEW-648UBM 802.11n 150Mbps Micro Wireless N Adapter not working
but when I do that the adapter is not recognized at all anymore
when I disable the wifi I get the following entry in dmesg:
[ 3671.467610] wlxd8eb9728e940: deauthenticating from f0:82:61:7f:06:00 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING) [ 3671.487345] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated: [ 3671.487348] cfg80211: DFS Master region: unset [ 3671.487350] cfg80211:
(start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp), (dfs_cac_time) [ 3671.487352] cfg80211: (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A) [ 3671.487354] cfg80211: (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A) [ 3671.487356] cfg80211: (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A) [ 3671.487358] cfg80211: (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A) [ 3671.487360] cfg80211: (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s) [ 3671.487362] cfg80211: (5490000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s) [ 3671.487363] cfg80211:
(5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A) [ 3671.487365] cfg80211: (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm), (N/A)
When I enable it again I get:
[ 3696.695473] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay! [ 3696.705997] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05 [ 3697.194423] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlxd8eb9728e940: link is not ready [ 3697.221099] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlxd8eb9728e940: link is not ready [ 3698.099333] wlxd8eb9728e940: authenticate with f0:82:61:7f:06:00 [ 3698.110256] wlxd8eb9728e940: send auth to f0:82:61:7f:06:00 (try 1/3) [ 3698.121718] wlxd8eb9728e940: authenticated [ 3698.125993] wlxd8eb9728e940: associate with f0:82:61:7f:06:00 (try 1/3) [ 3698.137456] wlxd8eb9728e940: RX AssocResp from f0:82:61:7f:06:00 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=4) [ 3698.138237] wlxd8eb9728e940: associated [ 3698.138261] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlxd8eb9728e940: link becomes ready
if I run dmesg | grep rtl8192
[ 6.371861] rtl8192cu: Chip version 0x10 [ 6.453835] rtl8192cu: MAC address: d8:eb:97:28:e9:40 [ 6.453840] rtl8192cu: Board Type 0 [ 6.453936] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin [ 6.485037] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192cu [ 6.486499] rtl8192cu 1-2:1.0 wlxd8eb9728e940: renamed from wlan0 [ 6.547964] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay! [ 6.560302] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05 [ 4197.188439] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay! [ 4197.199672] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05
Would any of you have some idea to help, adding the wlx... in /etc/network/interfaces as shown in my comment below did not help