My system is freezing when the memory used is maxed out and I was wondering why. Turns out the swap is not being used. Here's my partition table:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * 63 80324 40131 de Dell Utility /dev/sda4 81918 909195263 454556673 5 Extended /dev/sda5 512121690 909195263 198536787 83 Linux /dev/sda6 81920 3987455 1952768 83 Linux /dev/sda7 3989504 140705791 68358144 83 Linux /dev/sda8 492589056 512120831 9765888 82 Linux swap / Solaris /dev/sda9 140707840 492584959 175938560 83 Linux
The swap partition is not turned on and doesn't show in
df but it does in the disks utility:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on udev 1.9G 4.0K 1.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 392M 1.3M 391M 1% /run /dev/sda7 65G 19G 43G 31% / none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 2.0G 26M 1.9G 2% /run/shm none 100M 48K 100M 1% /run/user /dev/sda6 1.9G 89M 1.7G 6% /boot /dev/sda9 166G 47G 111G 30% /home /home/my-user-name/.Private 166G 47G 111G 30% /home/my-user-name
$ sudo swapon -s Filename Type Size Used Priority
As you can notice my Home partition is encrypted but I have not encrypted the swap.
Swap seems declared in /etc/fstab:
# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation #UUID=df55bf68-b824-4f21-83f3-dfa80a0b74ab none swap sw 0 0 /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0
I'd like to know why it's not working and how can I fix it?
Update It seems there's a reported bug on this for several releases and has not been fixed for 14.04 yet.
Here's the result of
cryptswap1 UUID=df55bf68-b824-4f21-83f3-dfa80a0b74ab /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
And what was suggested by A.B.:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/cryptdisks reload * Stopping remaining crypto disks... [ OK ] * cryptswap1 (stopped)... * Starting remaining crypto disks... * cryptswap1 (skipped, device /dev/disk/by-uuid/df55bf68-b824-4f21-83f3-dfa80a0b74ab does not exist)... [fail] [ OK ] $ sudo swapon -a swapon: /dev/mapper/cryptswap1: stat failed: No such file or directory
Based on David Foerster's answer I did
cat /dev/disk/by-uuid/ and got 6 uuid's. Did
blkid -U of each and non is
/dev/sda8 which the swap is supposed to be. I got sda's 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, and
/dev/mapper/luks-****. The last of which I think is the other encrypted partition that I left untouched during installation (was encrypted by 12.04).
I also tried the following answer. Did not work either.
Update: I ended up reformatting the partitions and re-installing the system. It seems working fine now.