Nouveau is actually crashing, it is unstable as hell. On msi GT70 I just managed to install nvidia-prime and bumblebee. I strongly recommend this as you have Optimus on your laptop.
To do so, try to boot in rescue mode on ethernet and follow these :
Bumblebee Intel+Nvidia on 15.10 blackscreen issue
I have manage to make this work https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?69190-Bumblebee-Nvidia355&p=381043
1. install nvidia-355 and nvidia-prime
2. select intel driver in nvidia panel and logout
3. install bumblebee only (not bumblebee-nvidia)
4. edit as needed /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
replace nvidia-current by nvidia-355
uncomment BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
as described here https://askubuntu.com/questions/29044...vices-detected,
6. you can now boot under intel card and use optirun and primusrun. It is working for me so far, test with primusrun glxinfo
Another option is just tu install nvidia-prime and nvidia-352, or if you want the last nvidia driver you can use
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa to get nvidia-355 from this ppa.