What are the most available open source GUI hex-editor for the Ubuntu LTS 14.04 Desktop? I have HexEdit running on OS X, and am looking for something similar. A bit more modern perhaps, with good functionality, stability, easily installed and integrated. This is a system for a novice programming student learning Linux and examining code. how would you compare: Ghex, Bless, and wxHex? Any suggestion appreciated.
Bless is a high quality full featured hex editor.
Bless currently provides the following features:
- Efficient editing of large data files and block devices.
- Multilevel undo - redo operations.
- Customizable data views.
- Fast data rendering on screen.
- Multiple tabs.
- Fast find and replace operations.
- Advanced copy/paste capabilities.
- Highlighting of selection pattern matches in the file.
- Export to text and html (others with plugins).
- Extensibility with Plugins.
You can compare hex editors here.
Press Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal and run:
sudo apt-get install bless
Alternatively click this link.
I have been using wxHexEditor - full featured / stable + source !
Handles HUGE files with ease (only limited by your RAM)
sudo apt-get install wxhexeditor # then launch using wxHexEditor
_ OR _
git clone https://github.com/EUA/wxHexEditor.git cd wxHexEditor make -j8 sudo make install wxHexEditor
Before compiling wxHexeditor you need wxWidgets and autoreconf on your system ... just install those libraries :
sudo apt-get build-dep wxhexeditor
I then do
ln -s /usr/bin/wxHexEditor ~/bin/wxhexeditor so I can launch it using lowercase