I first noticed this behavior in a newly purchased HP laptop. The login window goes crazy after I log out. The screen moves erratically, often the screen corner icons are in the middle. The only way out of this is a hard reboot.
Initially, I thought that this has something to do with the laptop hardware and I was about complain to the supplier. However, after a couple of weeks, another newly procured laptop showed the same behavior.
- This occurs only at random, without any detectable pattern. The event can not be called to be predictable or always reproducible.
- This does not occur in case of Windows 8.1. The first laptop has Ubuntu only, the second one is dual boot.
- Both the laptops are running Ubuntu 15.04, upgraded to the latest version.
- The movements are more in the horizontal direction rather than in the vertical direction.
- The two laptops have different graphics cards. One has a built in card, the other one has a separate Nvidia card using a proprietary driver.
Could you please tell me how do I find a remedy to the situation?
More informatin on graphics and display.
Laptop 1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2). 14.0-inch diagonal LED-backlit display. Using default 1366X768 resolution.
Laptop 2: Intel HD Graphics 5500, NVIDIA GeForce 840M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated). 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit. Using default 1366X768 resolution. Installed the Ubuntu offered proprietary graphics driver.