I work with Linux professionally, but the desktop is not something I know much about; thus the call for help from those more knowledgeable than myself.
This is a new install (8 months ago) of 14.04 on a Dell M6800 notebook.
The system crashed and dumped core showing a core listing on the screen. Upon rebooting the system I have some strange behavior that I am unable to remedy.
- All the wallpapers are missing.
- All the standard themes are present
- The System settings has all the text, but no icons at all
- The toolbar and desktop have all the icons, but they are white rectangles on the desktop and white rectangles in the toolbar with red "X"
- On the login page, there is no icon for choosing a desktop. I have gnome fallback install, from the original build.
- All icons in the Applications menu are white rectangles with a red "X"
- The Places menu icon are either missing or white rectangles with a red "X"
- Applications like firefox, thunderbird etc. work fine, either form the applications menu or from the toolbar icons.
What I have tried so far:
- moved the .config file to a backup and rebooted.
- did a "--reinstall" of the gnome, unity, gnome-fallback, lightdm, gnome-control-center, gnome-icon-theme-full, gnome-shell, ubuntu-desktop.
- Booted up from a live flash drive to make certain it was not the hardware. All icons were present and wallpapers etc. Completely normal.
Any help in correcting these issues is appreciated.