I tried to use Mathematics symbols in web to search a formula directly,but I don't know how to insert mathematics symbols?

I can't find any Mathematics options in Ubuntu's Character Map application,


  • which program(s) do you want to insert symbols into? – Wilf Aug 19 '15 at 11:34
  • to answer a question here – Ravan Aug 19 '15 at 12:36
  • Duplicate of this question on Meta.MathSE – Wilf Aug 19 '15 at 13:02

Use CharacterMap

With Character Map, you can select a large range of non-standard and international characters (including math symbol which you need) to put in your documents.

No need to install it, because it was part of the default ubuntu installtion.

How to launch ?

If you using gnome, go to Accessories --> Character Map

If you using unity, search "Character Map" in dash.

Or, run following command on terminal :


In Character Map menu, View > By Unicode Block. Then select "mathematical operators" on left sidebar.

enter image description here

Double click any symbol to copy.

  • 3
    but there is no Mathematical...option in character map,I would like to add screen shot but I don't know how to add! – Ravan Aug 19 '15 at 12:29
  • 1
    @AnilKrishna what symbol do you want to insert ? – Jim Aug 19 '15 at 13:06
  • integral and differential symbols also to write math equations @Liso – Ravan Aug 21 '15 at 7:59
  • 3
    @Ravan: Go to View Menu (at the top of the window) and choose By Unicode Block option. It works for me. It's totally unintuitive, but it works. It must be some Ubuntu programmer sense of humor. – ipse lute Jun 7 '16 at 12:19
  • 1
    If gucharmap is missing, it is possible to install it simply using sudo apt-get install gucharmap – zezollo Oct 19 '16 at 15:09

Maths SE uses MathJax so you can add mathematical symbols etc without needing to insert symbols - you can use it as covered here.

N.B. If you want help using MathSE you probably should ask here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.