I have a /home/Completed dir. For some reasons, I can not move this directory. Now my system is quite full. So, I would like to grant some space to the /home/Completed directory from a usb key. Is it possible ?



If you can't move it due to operational reasons (in other words, you can move, but things won't work anymore), then here's what you a gotta do:

In Terminal:

cd /home
mkdir usb
sudo mount /dev/sd_
sudo mv /home/Completed/* usb/
sudo rm -r /home/Completed
sudo umount /dev/sd_
sudo mv usb Completed
sudo mount /dev/sd_ Completed

And the USB drive will hold the contents, but they will show up as that same directory. Also make sure to run

sudo mount /dev/sd_ /home/Completed

when you boot up, otherwise it won't show up.

REPLACE /dev/sd_ with /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd or whatever your USB shows up as in /dev/.

If you can't move it due to permissions, then you're out of luck. Use the USB for storing other stuff you can move.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.