I am trying to make a centralized patch management tool, which can be used to perform the controlled update of all the Ubuntu machines in my network.
I did some research, and collected the following information :-
- There is a paid tool called Landscape, which can be used to achieve the same purpose. But, it is way to expensive.
- There are other tools like Puppet/Chef/Ansible, which are mainly config tools.
- Pulp which is basically a repository cloning tool.
The thing is I would like to achieve a combination of these. And, am wiling to put the effort in order to achieve it.
My requirements are :-
- To get the list of packages which need to updated [available at Ubuntu Security Notices], along with its dependencies
- Download those packages from a Windows machine, and keep it there.
- Later, Distribute these to all Ubuntu machines, as needed.
Edit : I want to avoid the each Ubuntu machine from going online, due to bandwidth constraints
Is there any API available to get the above mentioned package list (with dependencies)? If yes, for free or paid?