My USB 3.0 drives turn on after I turn them off in the Disks utility.
I've disabled auto-mounting via org.gnome.desktop.media-handling.automount. This worked as expected but doesn't help with my power on/off problem.
This only seems to happen when I use
dd to write a disk image. Here's my workflow:
- Insert a USB drive from step 6
- Write USB drive using
sudo dd if=someFile of=/dev/sdb bs=8M oflag=sync && sync
- Power down USB drive in "Disks" GUI. The drive disappears from the Devices list
- Wait a second. The drive reappears in the Devices list.
- Repeat (3). The drive continues to reappear.
- Remove drive from PC anyway.
I'd like to cut out steps 4 and 5. Why is the device being re-enabled?
I'm using 14.04.