After upgrading to 15.04, and maybe another update round, I can't hear any sound over HDMI. A sound device seems to exist:
$ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
But when I try to play something (with aplay) there's nothing but silence (not even an error). I already looked at volume controls and nothing is muted or low-volume as far as I can see.
PulseAudio Volume Control doesn't seem to recognize any output device existing at all except Built-In Audio Analog Stereo, and the sound settings don't even recognize that.
Things I've already tried:
- An update via apt-get didn't solve this.
- pavucontrol didn't display an HDMI device.
- aplay lists a device but doesn't seem to play anything.
- deleting files in ~/.pulse dirs didn't help.
- restarting alsa and pulseaudio didn't help either.
Here is the also-info.sh report from my computer: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=4750eeb7df3a6ffcb40d9debd7c001556a8d93fb