So, my school has hundreds of old computers and a few gigabit switches. Coordinating with the head of district for my school, I've been granted permission to make a Beowulf cluster, using one, two or three tutorials.
But, the compute possibilities aren't clearly defined, and I'm confused.
What I know:
- You can't run GPU dependent games across the cluster
- You can't run non multi-threaded applications across the cluster
What I don't know
- How well programs such as y-cruncher scale
- What can run across the nodes
- If everyday computing is supplemented (such as opening random apps, password cracking, etc)
- If programs such as virtualbox scale across the nodes