Unfortunately (as you can see) I cannot install grub. I have tried /dev/sda as well.
Here is my partitioning schema:
Troubleshooting + problems:
- Installed Windows 8 to logical partition (somehow got marked "active")
- Found Metro BCD to be lacking (takes forever to load, doesn't have other non-Windows OSs)
- Installed EasyBCD, couldn't detect the BCD. So I made my Win7 primary the active
- Something stuffed up in its BCD, it redirects to Win8 BCD, so I want to make GRUB default
- 11.04 GRUB can't be activated for some reason
So I download 11.10 x64 Beta on my old laptop, push it to a USB, and attempt to install it on my other hard-drive.
Then I get the first mentioned error. I have also tried (before and after) running
sudo grub-install manually on the respective drives, to no avail.
When I now attempt to boot to the hard-disk, I get PXE boot.
Please suggest further troubleshooting steps (e.g. LILO?).