I recently did a fresh installation of ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my pc. Previously I was dual booting ubuntu 14.04 with windows(both 32 bit). My hdd is 500 GB. The previous structure of the hard disk was as follows:
- partition 1:type-primary, size:100GB, file system:NTFS(windows)
- partition 2:type-primary, size:100GB, file system:NTFS(data)
- partition 3:type-primary, size:100GB, file system:NTFS(data)
- partition 4:type-extended, size:(remaining), contents:following:-
- sub-partition 1: size:100GB, file system:NTFS(data)
- sub-partition 2: size:1GB, file system:ext4(
- sub-partition 3: size:50GB, file system:ext4(
- sub-partition 4: size:16GB, file system:ext4(
- sub-partition 5: size:2GB, file system:swap
Now first I copied data from partition 2 into partition 3. then after creating ubuntu 14.04 live usb on a 8GB pen drive, I deleted partition 1, 2 using Gparted in live session and created a new partition of size 106 GB. Then I copied partition 3 data (both backup of part. 2 and data of part. 3) into new 105GB partition (let's call it
root_new) of type:primary and file-system:btrfs. then I copied sub-partition 1 data into
root_new and old
/home data in
root_new. I put all these in separate directory to identify them later. Then I archived old
root_new. After this total backup size was 48GB approx.
Then I deleted partitions 3, 4 and created a new partition on remaining free space of type:primary and file-system:btrfs. let's call it
home. Its size is approx. 370GB. Then I copied
root_new backup data in
home. Then I deleted
root_new and created new partitions as follows:
- partition 1:type-primary, size:1GB, file-system:btrfs(
- partition 2:type-primary, size:100GB, file-system:btrfs(
- partition 3:type-swap, size:remaining.
Then I installed ubuntu in the partitions with configurations shown in new part.1, 2, 3 (with formatting) and using
/home without formatting so that I could access backups on
home after installation.
Ubuntu installed successfully. I choose not to encrypt my home directory. But after login I did not find my backup data on
/home. There was only my home directory.
Here is output of
$ df -lh Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda3 100G 3.2G 96G 4% / none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup udev 986M 8.0K 986M 1% /dev tmpfs 200M 984K 199M 1% /run none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 996M 156K 996M 1% /run/shm none 100M 52K 100M 1% /run/user /dev/sda2 360G 47G 312G 14% /home /dev/sda1 1.0G 35M 861M 4% /boot
As you can see
/home is 14% used.
Here is output of
ls -la /home:
$ ls -la /home total 0 drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8 May 2 2015 . drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 176 May 2 2015 .. drwxr-xr-x 1 kutu kutu 480 May 2 18:00 username
And I'm sure I put backups right under
/home in directory which are not showing.
Here is another command.
$ sudo btrfs filesystem df /home Data, single: total=47.01GiB, used=46.48GiB System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=16.00KiB System, single: total=4.00MiB, used=0.00 Metadata, DUP: total=1.00GiB, used=65.45MiB Metadata, single: total=8.00MiB, used=0.00
Please help me to recover these backup data.