I have done everything I can to set Google Chrome as my default browser in Ubuntu 12.04, but absolutely nothing seems to work. Anything new I could try would be greatly appreciated.
Whenever I open Chrome, Chrome displays the message 'Chrome is not the default browser' with the button 'Set as default as browser'. This message does not disappear. I also cannot install extensions in Chrome, which always returns the following error:
Could not install package: 'UTILITY_PROCESS_CRASHED_WHILE_TRYING_TO_INSTALL'. Could not install package because a utility process crashed. Try restarting Chrome and trying again.
I read somewhere (I forgot where unfortunately) that this error is related to the error of refusing to be the default browser.
Additionally, when I open Chrome from the command line, it opens successfully but I do get an error message:
$ google-chrome-stable LaunchProcess: failed to execvp: /proc/self/exe
So here the list of things I already tried:
== Things I tried ==
System Settings -> Details -> Default Applications
Chrome is set correctly here as the default browser, but I still get the error messages.
- Use the 'Make Google Chrome the default browser' button in the Chrome settings. This button does nothing when I click it. It's not disabled, it just does nothing.
- Reinstalling Chrome.
- Setting $BROWSER - this variable was empty by default and setting it to google-chrome did not help.
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, and it currently looks like this:
[Added Associations] application/x-executable=gedit.desktop; image/png=eog.desktop; x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop; x-scheme-handler/https=google-chrome.desktop; image/svg+xml=inkscape.desktop; application/pdf=inkscape.desktop; [Default Applications] x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/https=google-chrome.desktop image/svg+xml=inkscape.desktop text/html=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/https=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/about=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/unknown=google-chrome.desktop
This doesn't solve the problem.
I removed all mentions of 'firefox' in
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list. Everything seems to be set correctly to
google-chrome.desktop, but I still get the error message.
sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
returns the following:
There are 2 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser). Selection Path Priority Status ------------------------------------------------------------ * 0 /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable 200 auto mode 1 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode 2 /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable 200 manual mode
Switching between these options did nothing.