Someone has left their hard drive at mine and it's a windows one (NTFS). They want to be able to access their files remotely, what's an easy way to do this? (Also, could you explain it to me like I'm 5? I've never been able to get file sharing working properly)
Thanks for your help.
I think the best solution would be if he could go to a page like this: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ but I don't know how to set that up.
Further to the comment below:
- what OS are you using and what OS will the remote user be using?
- assuming you're using Linux, do you have an ssh server installed?
I have no idea. I don't think I've installed anything like that.
- Would you be willing to offer web access? Why not a simple web server?
I don't know what you mean.
- What does microsoft's ftp site have to do with anything?
I was trying to give an example of how the solution I had in mind would look.
- You also need to explain your security concerns. Do you want to make this available only to a single user? To anyone? Anyone with a username/password? Do you want encryption?
Just him. A username and password would work if there's a solution with that but I could just not tell anyone about how to access it while he downloaded the files.