I've been trying to get Lubuntu to install on a machine which seems like it should take Lubuntu with no problems. It already has Vista and boots fine into Windows. I have created a live-usb using
unetbootin. This usually works fine as I've done this on many other machines in the past, but this one is being difficult.
The installation process gets weird right around where it would usually ask to make partitions or overwrite everything. It goes straight to the partition screen and it crashes if I try to do anything.
Then I get kicked into busybox and get a repeating error message:
[DRM] nouveau 0000:00:12.1: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-D-1
This is preceded by about 10 lines of 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
The system is made by Fujitsu Siemens and has the follow specifications:
- AMD Athlon Dual Core 64x2 32 bit 4400+ processor
- 1 Gigabyte of Memory
- Nvidia GeForce 7025
The motherboard also has no DVI connector, only VGA.
Things I've tried:
- A different Hard Drive with Linux pre-installed, didn't boot up, had some other error.
- A Graphics card: just crashed faster.
- Different RAM - no change
- Fiddling with the BIOS settings, no glaring mistakes or incompatible settings, random/educated fiddling did nothing.
- Different Linux distributions and versions (10.4, 12.4 and 14.4) of Ubuntu - also crashed in the same way.
Can anyone help me out?