What are the best software in Ubuntu for different applications? I never found any such lists as we can see in the case of Windows. I think that'd be very helpful for new users. May be we can have a list with two or three programs for different applications based on their quality or performance.
Here is a basic list for a few categories:
- Raw editor for fine tuning: Darkroom.
- Photo editors: Gimp or Krita (I prefer Gimp).
- Vector drawing: Inkscape.
- Video editing: Openshot may be a good start, if you are an advanced user, try Natron.
- 3D modeling: Blender (It has a slow learning curve, but I think that is the best)
- LibreOffice maybe the best solution. However you can find alternatives.
- Web browsers: Firefox, Chromium or Midori (I prefer Firefox).
- Torrent manager: Transmission.
- Download managers: Firefox integrated DM or JDownloader (It has lots of options).
- Mail clients: Thunderbird or Evolution (I prefer Thunderbird).
- Run Windows software on GNU/Linux: Wine.
This is a small list, but you can find really big lists on Internet. However that are my preferred applications, this is not the absolute truth.