I recently reinstalled
Ubuntu 14.04.2 multiple times, after having experienced a persistent problem with
Oracle Java 8, which suddenly started crashing in any application in which used to work. Namely the problem was always a "problematic frame" in a static library (
.so file), with lots of hexadecimal addresses listed above in the log. Reinstalling
Java didn't help, so I tried reinstalling
Ubuntu instead, but the problem persisted even after a fresh installation.
I then checked RAMs for faulty behavior, and soon after having started
Memtest86+ v4.2.0 lots of addresses were reported as faulty. I checked if everything in the BIOS was set correctly, and i found out that the memory's
Command Rate was set uncorrectly to
1, while from RAM's specifications it should have been set to
2. So i set it to
2 and tested again, this time with 1 full pass of
Memtest86+ and 3 full pass of
Memtest86 showing no issue.
In order to avoid any further problems i burned
Ubuntu again to a blank DVD, checked the md5 sum of the DVD, launched
Ubuntu as Live DVD and checked the
S.M.A.R.T status of the drive, which was ok (
Bad sectors reallocation count=0). The problem i'm experiencing now is that the installer fails at checking copied files, i.e. it states that the copied files are different from the source files.
Now i'm trying to burn the
Ubuntu DVD once again, but i highly doubt it might fix the issue. Apparently there's something wrong at hardware level, but i'm unable to figure out what that could be