symptom: can not boot from SSD after installing ubuntu server 14.04. BIOS menu keeps returning back. No dual booting.
- Lenovo T430s with windows 8 preinstalled.
- BIOS boot menu supports both legacy and UEFI.
- created GPT with gparted. /dev/sda2 is where i installed ubuntu. /dev/sda6 FAT32 is the EFI system partition.
- /dev/sda6 has flag boot and esp set (set from ubuntu install image).
- i installed server image following the "manual" option. when it asked where to install grub, i specified /dev/sda6. no error.
- successful install.
diagnoses: I mounted both /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda6 on gparted live CD terminal. it turns out /dev/sda6 has nothing in it. Why? and how do i fix it? Thanks!