Ubuntu 14.04, Kernel 3.13 crashes very frequently, notably when using Firefox, Eclipse and VLC. The effect of the crash is:
- all USB devices stop responding
- if playing a video, it hangs up and sounds like an old stuckup record (plays a second of the video in an infinite loop)
- if I try re-pluging the USB devices they don't receive power
- Hence SysRq does not work
- no entry in kern.log or syslog
Note: nothing mentioned in the official debugging solution at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingSystemCrash works for obvious reasons, no input devices active.
I have tried the following without luck
- updating kernel (tried 3.19)
- changing graphic drivers (nouveau, nvidia 331, 304 and 340)
- System: XPS 8700
- Processor: i7-4770
- RAM: 16GB
- Graphics: NVidia GTX645 (OEM)
- Motherboard: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/dell-0kwvt8-mainboard-specifications/
- OS: Trusty Tahr
Edit: I am very excited, the problem is NOT solved, but for the first time, the system spit out a readable error.
System Setup: Kernel 3.18.7 - Nouveau Drivers
Alternate Error Image
Any help will be greatly appreciated, even a whisper or debug options.
Edit 2015/02/24: Just remembered another piece of information that might help, I faced the same issue with Ubuntu 13.10. I solved it by replacing nouveau driver with nvidia 331.113 and turning off hardware acceleration on Firefox and VLC. Eclipse still crashed now and then, but tolerable (sad to say that).