Using VMware, I set 2 hosts connected through a router. All 3 virtual computers run Ubuntu 14.10.
- Host A (eth2: 192.168.1.11/24)
- Router (eth2: 192.168.1.12/24) (eth3: 192.168.3.2/24)
- Host B (eth2: 192.168.3.1/24)
My setup has the following symptoms:
- Host A can ping 192.168.3.2, but cannot ping Host B (100% packet loss).
- Host B can ping 192.168.1.12, but cannot ping Host A (Destination Host Unreachable).
- Router can ping both hosts.
What I have done or tried so far:
- I have enabled IP forwarding (
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1).
- I have added both hosts statically in the router's routing table.
- I did nothing on IP masquerading, since the hosts are within private networks only.
Why can't the hosts ping each other?