I experience weird fps drops while playing games, mostly with Wine.
Some tested games:
- Hearthstone - fps drops happens pretty often; interesting fact is that while browsing cards every page needs to be loaded for few seconds and after that you can choose it without the delay - even after game restart; could also be true that the whole game works a bit better after restarting.
- StarCraft 2 - fps drops do happen - sometimes while moving units for example;
- Skyrim - problem shows up from time to time, for example while attacking;
- Burnout Paradise - works really well.
- Teleglitch - without Wine - that's totally weird for me, but fps drops did appear and it's rather simple game;
- Trine - without Wine - works pretty well, but sometimes I do experience the problem;
- FEZ - without Wine - works ok;
- DotA 2 - without Wine - works really well, except few bugs.
After all tests I suspect this may be related to the CPU, rather then the GPU: I can clearly see the CPU usage drop when fps drop appears (at least while playing Hearthstone). Changing the GPU with prime-select did not change much really. I tried changing CPU to performance mode with indicator-cpufreq, but it did not solve the problem.
The most surprising thing is, that while testing something happened and I experienced extreme boost. Everything worked so well that I couldn't believe it. Sadly after a reboot a few hours later that was gone, but now I know it must be possible!
What's the problem about really? What could happen that this boost appeared?
I just would like to not experience this fps drops.
- Ubuntu 14.04.1;
- Wine 1.6.2 from default repositories;
- nvidia-331 with nvidia-prime from default repositories.
- GPU: Nvida GT 650M 2GB and Intel - Optimus technology;
- CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz - 2 cores, 4 threads;
- RAM: 16GB;
- 16GB swap partition;
- 116.1 GB total partition space, 2.1GB free.
Speedtest.net: ping 57ms, 9.81 Mbps download speed, 0.84 Mbps upload speed.
df: http://pastebin.com/c4eAwEAg .