Just installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.
According to .profile,
# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells. # This file is not read by bash, if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login exists.
There is no ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login.
It does not seem to source .profile when opening a terminal.
- Why doesn't it source .profile when opening a terminal?
- Why is .profile there if it is not sourced?
- How do I know/control what is sourced when a new terminal is opened?
- When a new terminal is opened, does it do a "login"?
- Where is a good place to add $HOME/bin to my path? .bashrc? Will that cause a problem because .profile has the same code?