In what configuration file is the LANGUAGE environment variable set? (Or how can I change it by other means?)
Background: I was playing around with language settings in kubuntu and installed Russian by accident. Now it won't totally go away. Yes, english shows up in the GUI, but it's Russian on the command line. As best I can figure, it's due to the LANGUAGE environment variable. See the third line:
leon@leon-Desktop:~$ locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en:ru:en LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ALL=
Everything is set correctly except for LANGUAGE. I've gone through a number of instructions for how to configure the locale/language, but nothing seems to change LANGUAGE (although they have changed other environmental variables, like LANG). So, I'm not interested in an overview of how to change the locale. I need to specifically know how to change LANGUAGE (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the situation). For what it's worth, LANG is set in /etc/default/locale, but LANGUAGE is not set there. (I tried setting LANGUAGE there, and it gets overridden somehow.) If I manually set LANGUAGE to en, then that particular shell works fine, so I think that only LANGUAGE needs to be changed.
Just to make clear, setting LANGAUGE in /etc/default/locale does not help. Additionally, ~/.pam_environment does not exist.
See below. LANGUAGE is set to "en" in /etc/default/locale. I restarted the machine. I verified the contents of /etc/default/locale. However, apt-get still outputs in Russian because LANGUAGE was overwritten elsewhere (producing the above output from locale).
leon@leon-Desktop:~$ cat /etc/default/locale LANG="en_US.UTF-8" LANGUAGE="en" leon@leon-Desktop:~$ cat ~/.pam_environment cat: /home/leon/.pam_environment: No such file or directory leon@leon-Desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update Игн http://mirror.anl.gov utopic InRelease
It looks like ~/.kde/env/setlocale.sh was the culperate. I guess I'll file a KDE bug report.
$ cat ~/.kde/env/setlocale.sh export LANGUAGE=en:ru:en export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8