I have been trying to get VirtualBox to enable my USB devices to attach them to the guest OS. However, when trying to attach them while the guest is running all devices are greyed out. Also device filters are not working.
I am pretty sure that this is a rights problem because it works perfectly when starting VirtualBox as root.
Here is my current setup:
- Host OS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 (64bit)
- Guest OS: Windows 7 (64bit)
- VirtualBox 4.3.20 r96996
- Guest additions are installed
- Package was downloaded from virtualbox.org
And this is what I tried so far:
- Followed the advice given in https://askubuntu.com/a/25600/14220, most importantly
- Made sure that I am part of the vboxusers group
- Switched USB support settings in VirtualBox on an off
- Added my user account to the
usbusergroup and set the udev permissions for it as suggested by http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-series-Via-series/My-Tomtom-in-virtuellem-Computer-z-B-Virtualbox/td-p/420042#M9758 (sorry, German text but you should get the gist)
- Made sure I have the "Use VirtualBox virtualization solution" user right as described in https://askubuntu.com/a/147791/14220
- Restarted both the guest and the host when changing user account settings
Slowly, I am running out of ideas. Most other posts I read about this problem were solved by adding the user to the vboxusers group. However, this did not fix it for me.
I think it might be possible that whatever resource needs to be accessed to handle USB devices is for some reason not accessible for the vboxusers group. I do not know which resource this is so I am unable to check.
Could you point me in the right direction to investigate this further?