The /usr/share/applications consist of
.desktop files which are owned by
Eg :- For gedit, the default text editor.
Icon field shows the name of the
.svg file present in
Therefore, to change the application icon, you can either edit the
.desktop file in
/usr/share/applications to point to a new image by specifying its path or replace the
.svg file in
/usr/share/icons with the icon image you wish to see.
Once you have done either of the above steps, refresh the icon cache using the command
gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/<name of icon theme>
Alternatively, it is easier to use Main Menu or
- Install Main Menu (package name is alacarte) alacarte
- Open Main Menu (alacarte)
- Click on a program and select Properties in the right menu.
- Click on the icon
- Browse for your new icon and click Open
- Close your programs properties
- Close Main Menu
You do not need to reboot to see the changes.