I 'upgraded' from 12.04 to 14.04 and I'm having a problem .I can't seem to fix with eclipse. Specifically, eclipse crashes... consistently. I've looked over the web for a few days and I can't seem to fix this problem.
I have removed eclipse with autoremove and remove and done a clean and autoclean but that doesn't seem to blow-eclipse away totally and I think that is what I need to do to get it going again... remove and delete all the configuration files... something is incompatible or in the wrong format for the eclipse version that I have now and what I was using under 12.04?
Here's the start of the sad story:
I knew eclipse was going to be a problem when I started it and it complained about the workspace being in-used or not existing... (it did exist and was not in use... and I could find no lock file) After that I kept 'browsing' over to the workplace and eclipse would crash.
So, I did an
sudo apt-get install eclipse... and
apt-get said it was selecting previously unselected package and acted like it was re-installing eclipse without downloading anything. After that eclipse would start and when I pointed it to my workspace folder, it went to it and opened the projects that I had previously been work on.... but I noticed all the '.c' files had the icon for Geany... HRM... looks like no CDT... so I went to help->install new software.. and ->All Available sites... nothing listed. Also, none of my plugins are listed as available, no SVN, no CDT, no XML modeling, nothing. So, I tried to update the proxy information and it crashes every time. It will also crash if I go into the general section and try to change anything. But to make it easy the following steps will crash every time for me.
Here's how I can reproduce it:
- start eclipse
- expand General and select Network Connections
- Select the HTTP under 'Proxy entries' and then edit.
- Change it, or don't and press 'ok' in that dialog box BOOM, dead
Here's what goes into the terminal window after the window disappears from KDE:
# # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb738ee0e, pid=6516, tid=3076417280 # # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0_65-b32) (build 1.7.0_65-b32) # Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (24.65-b04 mixed mode, sharing linux-x86 ) # Derivative: IcedTea 2.5.3 # Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, package 7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 # Problematic frame: # C [libgobject-2.0.so.0+0x16e0e] g_object_get_qdata+0x1e # # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again # # An error report file with more information is saved as: # /tmp/hs_err_pid6516.log # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please include # instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit: # http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. # See problematic frame for where to report the bug. # Aborted (core dumped)
I have the crashlog file, and it is quite long, if it'll help I can post it or excerpts from it if needed.
update: It seems anything that changes the workspace or the settings for Eclipse will cause Eclipse to crash. New project... crash. Also, even though I did an apt-get install eclipse-cdt, Eclipse doesn't seem to understand what a .h or .c file is. Nor can I choose a c project from the new project wizard.