So, yesterday I updated ubuntu and that included an nginx update, the process warned about diffs/changes to the
default file under
sites-available, I reviewed the changes and prepared a new file which included the updates and my personal settings, I noticed the default directory to store projects was now
/var/www/html/ instead of
/usr/share/nginx/html/ and I actually had been thinking about making that very same change myself so I agreed and included that change in my new
default configuration file, which I saved to
~/Desktop temporarily, so I wouldn't interfere with the update process.
After I was finished editing my new file I agreed to replace the existing one as asked by the update prompt/process.
The updating process continued only to state a failure a few seconds later, the error stated something about
failed to decompress package, I thought it would be fixed by attempting to update the system again so I tried but the update manager stated "there are no updates to install" (needless to say I got a bit suspicious but well, I just restarted the OS as asked).
After rebooting I backed up and replaced the
default file with my newly created one and moved all contents of
Oddly enough, going to
localhost didn't work but going to any other project stored on subdirectories worked fine, so I didn't care too much for the moment.
Here's where it gets interesting (well a bit interesting, at least).
Today I installed a non related package and suddenly the package manager tried to include some nginx changes in the process by executing a script and failed to do so.
NOTE: Here's a pastebin of the terminal's output (before and after the fix): http://pastebin.com/pYv7yKrz