I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed on an HP Touchsmart laptop and I'm having issues connecting to the Internet at home.
My PC has a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter, and it dual-boots Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. When I'm using Ubuntu and I'm connected to my home network, I can't access the Internet. Even the gateway address is unresponsive to pings.
The funny thing is, my computer connects to the Internet just fine when I'm on Windows or I'm connected to my school's wi-fi or that of one of my friends.
My router is an Arris TG852 (I think that's the right model number) router/modem combo, but I also have a Linksys wrt100 tethered to it as a repeater in order to service mobile devices on the network (for some reason they can't connect to the Arris router).
Is there a way to fix this issue with software or by fiddling with network settings in Ubuntu and on the router, or is the only solution to completely replace the Arris/Linksys improvised setup with a quality router?
Here is the output of the
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:34:6b:43:f4:3f UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:50075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:4412 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:8949360 (8.9 MB) TX bytes:661356 (661.3 KB) lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1 RX packets:7198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:7198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:1566049 (1.5 MB) TX bytes:1566049 (1.5 MB) wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 9c:d2:1e:7a:15:da inet addr:192.168.1.114 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::9ed2:1eff:fe7a:15da/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:29605 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:23378 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:21292553 (21.2 MB) TX bytes:3560977 (3.5 MB)
** Update ** I installed the Realtek 8188CE driver, which resolved some connectivity issues. I also unplugged the secondary router from the primary one, eliminating any possible issues between the two of them and my laptop. My laptop worked perfectly fine for a couple hours, but then suddenly lost connectivity. I tried restarting my wireless adapter several times, and even restarting my laptop, but I still can't ping Google. I can't even ping the router itself. Help!