I need to know what are the things that are required to successfully install Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 8.1.
I want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8.1 but every forum/site mentions something about UEFI/BIOS scenario or Disk Partitioning.
These are the things I did to install Ubuntu :
- I have created a live Ubuntu 14.04 USB drive.
- I just freshly installed Windows 8.1 on my PC. I also have a backup of all my files in my external HDD.
- I went to Run->msinfo32 and my BIOS mode is Legacy. My PC is a quite a bit old and came with Windows.
- I set aside a separate partition (Local Disk E: - 30GB) just for Ubuntu installation.
- I also disabled Fast start-up from Power options.
My questions are :
- What is this UEFI/BIOS scenario and what should I do about it?
- If I install Ubuntu in the E: drive I reserved, will it wipe other drives?
- Is there something I should do in the BIOS settings of my computer?
- What is partitioning of a drive? Will it create new drives like F/G/H... after installing Ubuntu on it?
- What is GRUB and what should I do about it?
I'm sorry if my questions were stupid but please explain to me in layman terms only. I'm very new to this stuff.