Keyboard layout names are not being released for reuse.
I am trying to create a new xkb layout. Here is how I am doing it.
- Add the new layout to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in
- Register the layout into /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml
The layout registers well the first time around. But if I change the layout and repeat the steps above, the layout is not reloaded.
Things that didn't work:
setxkbmap -layout us didn't work.
- Remove the layout completely from symbols/in and rules/evdev.xml -> logoff -> login -> re-introduce the layout -> logoff -> login.
- Restart the computer.
- Remove the layout completely from symbols/in and rules/evdev.xml -> restart -> re-introduce the layout -> restart.
Thing that worked.
- Rename the layout in evdev.xml and symbols/in each time I make changes to the layout.
I am unable to reuse a name, this is a problem obviously. This sounds like a bug to me or I am not doing things correctly.
I didn't know if the issue was with xkb (xorg), Mint or Ubuntu. So I thought I decided to start here.