This question already has an answer here:
- How do I restrict my kids' computing time? 10 answers
Keep in mind that this question is not asking for merely a time limiter! Please read the full question and see that I also want to limit application and internet access. The solution doesn't have to be one single application, but it does have to be automatic enough that a technically illiterate person wouldn't have to fiddle with it.
Migrated to Software Recommendations as requested
I'm completely aghast at the lack of parental controls in Tahr, and how even Ubuntu.com's suggestions are so out-of-date that some are impossible now.
I need something that will:
- Allow general computer time to be limited
- Allow application access to be limited (searching, installing, and running)
- Allow internet browsing time to be limited (might also cover most of the above point)
- Allow sites to be blocked without manually maintaining a list
- Allow specific sites to be whitelisted
- NOT set up or connect to a proxy or alternative DNS, as we're with Comcast and they're very keen to drop service at the slightest hint of alternative internet usage
I can't use something like:
- Timekpr, Timoutd, or Nanny, as they're no longer available or supported
- OpenDNS as I don't know how Comcast will treat that. Even if they don't mind at first, their actions going forward seem to show they won't be kind to it sometime soon.
- Scrubit because our modem/router is rented from Comcast.