I have a server and a desktop.
- OS: Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
- IP address: DHCP from Asus router, allocated by MAC address to 192.168.1.4
- Connection: wired Ethernet, always on
- OS: Arch Linux
- IP address: DHCP from Asus router, allocated dynamically
- Connection: WiFi (802.11n)
I can ping the server from the desktop (by hostname), but not the desktop from the server (can ping in both directions by IP address, of course). Both machines have winbind installed, both have wins added to /etc/nsswitch.conf, both have avahi-daemon installed and running. Both use the Asus router as their DNS server. What else could be missing?