I would like to use a US keyboard layout. However, from time to time I need to type German umlauts and sharp S.

All the US international keyboard layouts have left me unsatisfied. I am always either missing sharp S or a way to type the umlauts.

Does anyone have a configuration where they are able to use both sharp S and all umlauts with a US international keyboard layout? If so, would you share how you achieved this?

  • You could either reassign keys or switch between keyboard inputs. You can switch between any secondary layout with the shortcut Ctrl+Space. – Tim Aug 28 '14 at 21:57
  • @Tim Thanks, I have thought about this approach but my understanding was that international layouts were created exactly to avoid both switching and having to extend some layout manually. Ideally, I would like an out-of-the-box layout which I can then also use on other machines. – Chris Aug 28 '14 at 21:59

I use a regular US keyboard layout, but for all extended characters I mapped the print screen key or the right Windows/Super key to be the compose key. So now when I need a ç I type PrtSc followed by the c and , keys. Similarly for characters like ß (PrtScss) or © (PrtScOc).

See the Wikipedia entry on the compose key for more information. To set the Compose key (in Gnome), you can try Settings → keyboard → Shortcuts tab → compose key option, but that doesn't list the PrtSc key I want, so I did the following:

  1. Install dconf-editor: sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
  2. Open dconf-editor and go to org → gnome → desktop → input-sources and change xkb-options to ['compose:prsc']

Use the English (US, international AltGr Unicode combining) option. This enables the AltGr (right alt key) to act as an option to access more characters.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.