On the Mac, I use Command+` (the tilde) to cycle through windows in the current application (eg terminal or chrome). It's like Alt+Tab except only for the current application's windows. Possibly for Compiz but without any flashy Exposé like graphics?


Alt - ` and Shift+Alt+` do this by default.

The desktop will map whatever key is above the tab key to do this, on US keyboards it's the ` key.

  • Can you do this with compiz? I can't find the appropriate setting. – malana Mar 2 '12 at 19:26

In Xfce you can use Super + Tab (super is the "Windows" key on Microsoft keyboards). Not sure if this works in other window managers.


In Ubuntu 12.04, by default, Super+above tab does this.


Alt+ Window Number.

For example Alt+1 for first window. Alt+2 for second window etc...

In firefox and chrome you can also use Ctrl+Tab

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.