I just installed Linux and Ubuntu 14.04 alongside my Windows 8 on my HP Pavilion. First, I had problems with the graphics card and it said it could only operate in low graphics mode.But it just stall when I tried this.
I have Googled some potential fixes for this, but they all require an Internet connection which I am unable to obtain. I can boot in recovery mode, but I can't connect to either a wired or wireless connection. It can see both but can't connect, just keeps trying to connect.
Any help on either issue would be greatly appreciated.
$ sudo lshw -c network *-network -description: Wireless interface -product: RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe -vendor: Ralink corp. -physical id: 0 -bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0 -logical name: wlan0 -version: 00 -serial: 54:35:30:80:eb:01 -width: 32 bits -clock: 33MHz -capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless -configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion=3.13.0-29-generic firmware=0.37 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn resources: irq:18 memory:c2610000-c261ffff *-network description: Ethernet interface product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0 logical name: eth0 version: 08 serial: a0:1d:48:e4:ff:c4 size: 100Mbit/s capacity: 100Mbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8106e-2_0.0.1 04/23/13 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s resources: irq:59 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:c2504000-c2504fff memory:c2500000-c2503fff $ ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr a0:1d:48:e4:ff:c4 inet6 addr: fe80::a21d:48ff:fee4:ffc4/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:36631 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:189 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:2200377 (2.2 MB) TX bytes:38826 (38.8 KB) lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1 RX packets:191 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:191 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:13717 (13.7 KB) TX bytes:13717 (13.7 KB) wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 54:35:30:80:eb:01 UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
I figured it out. Thanks everyone for your help.
It was a combination of two problems:
That worked after I did some other stuff to allow the changes to be saved, and then I went to the settings and used the proprietary drivers as suggested below, although it didn't work the first time. I had to reinstall in order to achieve success.