Recently I've bought a Series 7 Ultra Samsung ultrabook and decided to change the OS from originally installed Windows 8 to Ubuntu 14.04LTS. However, it's difficult not to notice great decrease in battery life: on pre-installed Windows 8 battery would last for about 6 hours while on Ubuntu it's almost empty after 2 hours of same kind of work (wi-fi, web, vlc, spotify, intellij idea).
I'm not here to say that Ubuntu's battery performance is worse than Windows, but to ask for suggestions how to improve the situation (2 hours of work is pretty poor battery life).
Can you recommend some sources, applications or tips/tricks that would improve battery life on my ultrabook? I really like the Ubuntu experience, but this makes my machine much less reliable.
I suspect that graphic video card might be one of the issues here. Let me give you tech specs of the ultrabook:
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3337U (1.80GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
- Chipset: Intel HM76
- Graphic: AMD Radeon™ HD 8570M Graphics with 1GB gDDR3 Graphic Memory (PowerExpress) and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
- Display: 13.3" SuperBright+ 350nit FHD LED Display (1920 x 1080), Anti-Reflective
- Memory: 10GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,600MHz
- Hard-drive: 128GB Solid-state Drive
More informations here, on the official page. If it's helpful to provide additional info, I'm happy to do it, just let me know what you need. Thank you.