I have a number of scanned documents in pdf and I want to be able to search them. How can I do that?
Essentially I have to OCR the pdf and then blend the extracted text back into a new pdf. I have unsuccesfully tried a number of different solutions (including the ones found in Adding OCR info to a PDF).
- pdfocr (which gives me this issue: https://github.com/gkovacs/pdfocr/issues/7)
- pdfsandwich (of which the software center says it is a poor package and I should not install it)
- OCRfeeder (in the software center) exports to odt nicely, but does not react when exporting to pdf.
- Gscan2pdf exports an all black (but searchable) image as reported in this discussion.
- I don't think Pdfxchange viewer can handle doing ocr on the fly on files over 500 pages.
Is there a software package I am unaware of? Or a script that does this?