I have been trying to use Gnome 3.8 / 3.10 / 3.12 since Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 and no matter what I do it changes the screen resolution to 720p, instead of 1080p, so I have to manually set 1080p every time I start the PC!
Card: Nvidia GTX 550 Driver: all available Distro: Ubuntu 13.10 / 14.04 Gnome Shell: 3.8 / 3.10 / 3.12
Things I tried so far:
- opening nvidia-settings as root and user
- changing settings in nvidia-settings= force Powermizer to Maximum / OpenGL settings / Quality Settings - (I have done it all)
- forcing nvidia-settings to load on startup (Startup Aplications)
- adding/deleting/changing xorg.conf = "modes" / "metamodes" / "Display" / "EDID" - (I have done it all)
- adding gdm/init = xrandr output DVI-D-0 --mode
- installing different Kernels = 3.10 / 3.12 / 3.13 / 3.14
- installing different Nvidia Drivers= all available for Ubuntu
- installing Lightdm/MDM = everything breaks down
- changing cables = DVI / HDMI
- blocking/changing EDID = blocking the extensions on EDID (maybe the hdmi sound was causing the problem) / "noEDID"- system looses all resolutions
What I learned so far:
- Whenever I try to force 1080p by adding a command to xorg/gdm/xrandr the screen changes to 1080p for 1sec and then goes back to 720p! ... : (
- Tested Xubuntu/Kubuntu 14.04 = no resolution problems, just the usual terrible Nvidia performance (no vsync, no vdpau)
- Just installed Linux Mint yesterday and this problem doesn't happen (MDM), 1080p since the login screen.
- Tested Gnome 3.10/3.12 on the latest Fedora / Suse / Antergos and the problem persists!
Xserver 3.15 / 3.13 = I tried to replace ubuntu 14.04 xserver (3.15) with ubuntu 12.02 (3.13) cheating the repos and the whole system melted down!
I really want Gnome 3 and a supported version of Ubuntu (I am stuck at 13.04)!
- I am very persistent and have problems taking NO for an answer!
- I had an ATI HD 4x series and I saved money to buy this Nvidia because gaming on Linux became impossible (missing GL extensions on Legacy drivers)... so .... thinking that it would solve all the video issues I had on Linux with ATI ... but ... how wrong was I ???? Now I have problems with basic functionalities (RESOLUTION / VSYNC / VDPAU) !
....I started using Linux 3 years ago and all these GPUs mess have been a nightmare in my Linux experience! ....It's what makes me think about giving up Linux for all!