I have a Sony Vaio laptop with 4 GB RAM.It has Windows 7 home premium by default.I want to dual boot it with Ubuntu 14.04.How do I do it?My laptop does not boot Windows properly and shows logon initialization failure error.I cannot use safeboot as it hangs as soon as I select the option.It also cannot detect Wifi,USB,CD/DVD.How can I dual boot it?I also do not have the Windows disk.
- Just download the image file and write it into a DVD.
- Then boot the laptop with it and let Ubuntu install on RAM.
- When virtual desktop comes, It goes to install Ubuntu icon and then click on it.
- Choose the option
Install Ubuntu with windows side by side.
- Follow the instruction like user name, language , time zone, etc.
- Let it install.
- After installation, reboot the system.
- Update the system and use. Enjoy.
You mentioned it cannot detect USB and CD/DVD drive. Is it the Windows that cannot detect these or they aren't detected at all (at BIOS level)?
If it's the latter, then you'd better put the hard drive in another machine & get Ubuntu installed on it, then put the hard drive back in your laptop. Unlike Windows, Ubuntu will still boot up even if the installation is made on a different machine.