It is being observed since my upgradation to Ubuntu 14.04, that the Firefox browser is terribly slow. Can anything be done about it?
Well I checked a youtube video, that shows a procedure, and it worked perfect for me!. Now firefox is way faster that before, and more than that, is faster than chromium!. The procedure is basically the following:
- open a new tab in firefox and write "about:config". Enter.
- Press in "I'll be carefull, I promise", in order to get into the settings page.
- Once in the settings page, In the "filter" field write: network.http
- Go to the list below and double click "network.http.pipelining" in order for it to change from "false" to "true"
- do the same for "network.http.proxy.pipelining"
- Now, in the "filter" field write: network.dns
- Go to the list below and double click "network.dns.disableIPv6" in order for it to change from "false" to "true".
That's all! now you have the Fastest browser you'll ever find!.
Just for the record: Firefox version: 29.0 , Ubuntu version: 14.04
I found quite a bit of information about this on another source, can't remember where.
In the Add-ons section of the tools, disable all the unity, gnome and ubuntu extensions to firefox. Especially if you use AdBlockPlus (as I do) something in them is interferring with the operation of Firefox.
These extensions cannot be deleted from inside Firefox, merely disabled. If after testing, you decide that you want to permanently remove them, use the Ubuntu Software Center, select Firefox, and click 'More Info'. The extensions are checked there, and unchecking them and applying changes removes them from the system.
The problem dissappears if you start from clean firefox profile. Then you can install adblock and it will work fine with the ubuntu extensions.
It seems the problem is something that remains in the firefox profile after the upgrade from 10.04.
One quick solution is:
- Configure firefox sync
- Wait for sync to finish
- Close firefox and move your .mozilla folder to .mozilla.backup
- Launch firefox and configure firefox sync again
Unfortunately firefox sync does not sync certificate's configuration so you have to move that manually.
After that I can use all the extensions I used previously (adblock, noscript, ...) without the slowdown.
This is due to a limitation in Firefox architecture design itself: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/990997
Anything that is CPU intensive in the browser will lag its interface.
Take a look at here.
/etc/sysctl.conf, open it
sudo -H gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra = 0
Reboot the system.