I have successfully configured ubuntu as an ldap client following the howtos found on this site. i do the following.
1) apt-get install libpam-ldap nscd
2) configure ldap-auth-config
3) change /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd: ldap compat
group: ldap compat
shadow: ldap compat
4) add the line
session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022
to /etc/pam.d common-session
5) do a /etc/init.d/nscd restart
6) change lightdm.conf to allow user login with name and password
everything works fine. users can login and all works as expected. the problem i have is: on startup (cold start, reboot) ubuntu takes about 6 minutes to boot on 13.10.
on 14.04 it hangs completely.
as soon as i deactivate ldap (e.g renaming ldap.conf, or entering a wrong ldap uri) boot runs normal and takes about 20 seconds.