Is there a way by which I can choose if I want to login to ubuntu(unity) or ubuntu classic at grub loading it self. I have autologin enabled and I want to choose the session at the starting. Or is there a way where I can change the script which is needed to load kernel and run other scripts which invokes gdm?

  • 1
    just change the autologin – Uri Herrera May 23 '11 at 8:39
  • Yes that can be done. but I want to select my window manager during boot. I want it to be choosable with grub itself.. alwaqys choosing autologin is a tedious process. – puneet May 23 '11 at 9:22
  • Not without hacking into some system files; copied from someone in chat: defaultsession is in /etc/gdm/custom.conf, but this will only be used if the user never chose a session himself, else it's in ~/.dmrc - so you gotta replace the key there (of course it's a mess when an init script changes user config files)... – Rinzwind May 23 '11 at 10:42
  • 1
    Other suggestion: you can even have unity log in on tty7 and classic log in on tty6 ;) – Rinzwind May 30 '11 at 7:08

As far as I know, Ubuntu runlevels 2-5 are the same. Just modify runlevel 3 or 4 to achieve your needs. In GRUB, add a new line to it with your newly created runlevel.

In /etc directory, there are rcX.d directories, which controls services on different runlevels. As I see, rc3.d contains the same links as rc2.d to services in /etc/init.d, so create a new GRUB entry and put "3" at the and of the line without quotes (this will start your system on runlevel 3). Start this, set up a different graphical environment. After restart, this entry should meet your needs, I think.

  • Good idea! Please add a nice explanation on how to choose runlevels from GRUB and how to meddle with the config in /etc/init, so you'll get some delicious karma and a good chance on the bounty ;) – freddyb May 30 '11 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.