2

I'm not sure of the best way to ask this question because I don't know the correct terminology for what I'm asking about.

When I drag a window to the edge of my screen it automatically resizes to occupy half the width of the monitor. Same with the function key + left/right arrow. They both make the window resize to a 50/50 split for each side.

Now, I have a 26" monitor and I find the best setup when coding is a text editor taking up 75% of the width with a terminal taking up the other 25%.

Is it possible to somehow make it so when I drag against the right side, the window resizes to the right 25% of the monitor, and against the left side the window resizes to 75%?

Surely the 50/50 ratio must be stored somewhere? Can I just edit that to be 25/75? Or an arbitrary ratio?

4

You can do a 25/75 quite easily by activating the "Cycle Through Multiple Sizes" option of the Grid Compiz plugin in CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager):

  1. Install CCSM, open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+t and type:

    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    
  2. Open CCSM and type Grid in the Filter field:

    enter image description here

  3. The plugin to configure is the Grid plugin. Open it and select the Resize Actions tab:

    enter image description here

  4. Enable the "Cycle Through Multiple Sizes" checkbox and close CCSM.

Now if you press Ctrl+Alt+6 (but 6 in the numeric keypad) two times, the window will be on the right side, 25%. 4 times to get a 75%.

Tested OK on Ubuntu 13.10.

  • Perfect, thanks. I knew there would be something to do this, just couldn't figure out the right Google terms to find it. – user258458 Apr 1 '14 at 12:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.