I'm developing a Java application using jFrames, and the application menu bar object doesn't integrate with Unity's Panel (Window Title & Application Menus) as any native Unity application does.

Is there a way to do it?

My app:

menu bar is on window but not on top bar

Firefox integration: (what I want to)

use menu bar on top bar

  • This question has been asked on stackoverflow though it has not been resolved. I think some of the answers may be of use to you though. Its available here and the answer by Jamel Toms looks promising. – willl459 Mar 22 '14 at 5:07
  • I've been using the plugin from the page I put above but found it to be outdated. I will post an answer below with everything I can find. – willl459 Mar 22 '14 at 5:47

In order to integrate Java applications with the Unity bar you will need an external library. There is one called Java Ayatana that you can get from a PPA. Instructions are on that page but I'll put them here

 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danjaredg/jayatana
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install jayatana

You will need to log out and back in after installing. The instructions here will install the latest version and will keep up to date, the link I put in my comment above is outdated and must be manually installed so I recommend you use this instead.

From the page I linked above there is a tab labeled "wiki" which has a file "configuration". This file explains how to set up a Java program to utilize the Unity top bar. You will need to create a Java desktop application (.desktop file).

  • I don't understand how to start using it. I installed using those instructions, but now should I add it as a plugin on netbeans? NOTE: I understand Spanish :) – Lucio Mar 28 '14 at 23:59
  • After enter your three commands (just install it) it worked without change anything on my project. – Lucio Mar 29 '14 at 14:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.